Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Welcome!


If you're new to my blog, referred here by Sifu John Rogers @ Kung Fu Monkey, then welcome. Take your shoes off and stay awhile. The bar and kitchen are open.

As a way of introducing myself, I'm a working screenwriter here in Los Angeles and refer to myself as a pulp screenwriter. That means I have to write a lot to get paid and make a living. I don't make the big dollars that the studio boys make (yet), but I work a lot, and get better each time (I hope). You've probably seen some of the movies I've written, marketed, sold, produced, lit, coordinated for DVD authoring or publicized. A few of those pictures (and a book) I've worked on (in one capacity or another) are scattered about.

The D2DVD market means that you have to write fast, well and to a concept that the distributor or production company thinks will sell. D2DVD is not a spec market where you can sell a screenplay you wrote yourself. You are writing for a client and giving them a good story that can be produced on a low budget. It's a lot like the good old days at AIP where they created the artwork and title first, then wrote the script to fit.
Consequently I take a real practical, "cheeseburger and fries" approach to writing screenplays. Hopefully there's some simple info here you can use to help you break in to the business or tackle a problem you've been having with a script.

The bottom line is, as always, to spin a good yarn and be entertaining.

So feel free to poke around a bit and ask questions, make comments, and add to the mix. We're not formal (my shirt's always untucked and the toilet seat is always up) , but we have a good time.

6 comments:

Shaun said...

You've got some good info on here, so I'll be popping back to pick up a tip or ten.

The Awful Writer said...

Ditto to what Shaun said. I've added quite of few of your posts to my Scribosphere Hall Of Fame

Bill Cunningham said...

Wow! Awful writer - that is an awesome resource. I'm a little humbled that my meager efforts are housed with those of the Johns (Rogers and August) as well as other better-known scribes. Thanks!

And thanks to you as well Shaun. I'm glad that someone from over the pond will be here to give a different perspective to the Pulperverse I live and work in.

The Constipated Writer said...

I have to say, your blog offers a chance to see there are other avenues then slaving over that one big hit screenplay. I have found tons of useful and interesting info on your site, and will be a frequent contributor/visiter.

Bill Cunningham said...

That's DISC/ontent for ya! Here to relieve your screenwriting constipation...

Glad to have you aboard.

The Awful Writer said...

Thanks, Bill. I really did it for myself because I wanted an easy way to get back to the posts I found really informative. I made it public because I figured others would find it useful, too. Plus I'm hoping others will help it grow by suggesting posts to add. I went through quite a few blogger archives, but I know there's more out there waiting to be explored.