Sunday, March 11, 2007

F*ck Movies!

Warren Ellis held a forum the other night on The Engine called F*ck Comics Night. The purpose of which was for everyone to get all their hatred of the comics publishing industry out of their system. Surprisingly, or perhaps not so much, many of the complaints people had about comics are applicable to movies and TV and DVD.

My personal bitches are across the board: substandard writing and producing, ego, people who have no clue abou the movies they are trying to sell, retailers who don't realize I - the customer - can crush them like a bug and treat me like shit when I dare ask a question about the availability of a product.

There's a lot that's wrong with movies and television - so what's wrong? Get it off your chest.

(But save yourself the embarrassment of posting something along the lines of " What's wrong with movies is the fact they haven't bought my script/idea/scribbling on the back of a Starbucks napkin." I will make an example of you to the rest of the tribe)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since you started off with Comics it sort of led my train of thought. What bugs me about movies is when they adapt something like a comic book and change things. Particularly costumes but backstory and other things are occasionally changed. Kevin Smith has a nice bit on this while he was trying to write the Superman script.

Entourage has a nice bit on this as well, very subtle, as our hero, a brunette is told he's the perfect Aquaman (a blonde) and they don't even bother to change his hair color for the movie and invent some kind of harpoon claw weapon for him that I'm pretty sure Aquaman never had.

James Moran said...

Plenty of wrong stuff, but the thing that has been annoying me most lately is movies being too damn long. Sure, The Departed flew by, because it had enough story to keep it going. But most other movies pushing 3 hours are just too long. I was enjoying Pirates 2 for a while, then started getting impatient, then bored, then realised there was a whole hour left. Then I just wanted to cry. Get in, tell your story, and get out. The End. Maybe it's just me, though.

Emily Blake said...

Michael Bay.
Jerry Bruckheimer.
Brett Ratner.
Anybody else who thinks throwing money at a special effects studio is how you tell a story. I'd like the line them all up and do one masive bitchslap.

Anonymous said...

My $0.02. Creating by committee.

Curt Purcell said...

What I miss about movies is that genuinely mature sensibility you get from the '60s-'70s, when movies were made about adults by adults for adults. Also, the collapse of the European movie industry from that period (what caused that, anyway--videotape?) greatly impoverished movies across the board, I think. Also, if only they'd bring back painted posters. :-(