Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Future of Television is Passion(s)

Aintitcool news has a nice little news item today that points toward the future of television.

For those of you lamenting the demise of DRIVE, or the possible (insane) notion of there being no more VERONICA MARS (aaaaarrgh! Just the thought pinches the colon!) then read the article. It points to a place where shows survive and flourish with their core audience only, and won't be dependent upon millions of casual viewers every week. It points to an incredibly diverse lineup of programming, catering to many different tastes. It points to opportunity for independent writer-producers like myself to find financing outside the system and produce the programming we like with little to no compromises.

It points to the future.

PASSIONS is a soap on the NBC network. I have never seen a full episode before. I am not its audience... but damnit, I applaud their thinking. I applaud their moxie. I wish them luck, and you should too. Especially if you're someone who wants to make programming for a narrow audience - something you feel passionate about, but know that it will NEVER EVER fit into mainstream /network agendas.

PASSIONS is blazing a path. Hopefully we will all learn and profit from it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is Drive canceled already??????

Damn!
JDC

ME said...

I've always been amazed that Passions didn't get cancelled. The storylines are crazily over the top but I guess it works for their audience. Don't get me wrong, I am a soap girl for sure, just never got into that one. It's definitely an anomoly in it's world.