Friday, December 19, 2008

Traditional Indies Tank Big...Honestly

Note that I say "traditional" in that headline...

It's been a hell of a year for some folks with whom I've consulted. A lot of employee slates have been wiped clean. The herd has been culled. (Insert another ugly "a lot of people lost their jobs" metaphor here)

I'm still here.

With you.

Working on 2009 and beyond.

This isn't a "I told you so!" post. I took some hits. Major kicks to the wallet. Went from small nest egg to yolk on the floor. But there is a reason I still have an apartment and shirts to wear, and a job to go to...and a strategy for the future.

It's because I was honest with myself and didn't lie to myself regarding any movie I've worked on. I didn't lie to myself and throw a lot of money at a film or a film company which I KNEW (or at least were told) had limited potential or appeal, hoping somehow the problems would go away. I was honest with myself, my clients and my colleagues.

I treated it like it should be treated - a business - respectfully.

Honesty goes a long way. It slices through double talk like a hot knife through butter. It gets you labeled as "difficult" or "demanding." It gets you exasperated sighs or awkward silences during meetings when you question the validity of a strategy...

But damned if it doesn't save your ass every now and then. Honesty allows you to keep working while other "cooperative, nice" sweethearts are shown the door.

So, if you want to give yourself a gift this year - give yourself some honesty.

Like herpes it's the gift that keeps on giving.

(I'm going to be quiet now because I have a webcomic to write this weekend)

1 comment:

Kidsis said...

Love the new header.