Thursday, December 18, 2008

You don't Have to Believe ME, But I'm Sure You Believe The Joss...

A lot of people think I am extremely naive when I discuss the fact that all of the tools are there to become your own studio and you can produce and distribute media** on your own. Tools like Createspace, Lulu.com, TubeMogul, FiveSprockets.com, Withoutabox.com and others stare the naysayers right in the face and yet they just can't make the connection.

Perhaps its better to think that only certain, special people can make money at making media. I get it. That way, when you fail you have an excuse...

(Yes. You read that right. That's me calling you out)

Well here's something I hope changes your naysaying mind. I think Joss hopes it changes your mind too, because it's that significant.

Joss Whedon is using Createspace to distribute his DVD instead of doing a "traditional" studio deal for the DVD rights.

And I'm sure it was part of the plan all along. From the press release:

CreateSpace, a leader in Disc on Demand services, enables Whedon's creation to be released on DVD and CD in time for the holidays and reach millions of Amazon.com customers with minimal risk and without the cost of traditional distribution. Whedon chose CreateSpace in order to bring his vision to DVD and CD quickly and because of the low-risk, low-cost model. The video and soundtrack also will be available as digital downloads via Amazon Video on Demand and Amazon MP3.

"'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog' was always meant to be part of a new wave of (somewhat old-fashioned) entertainment," said Whedon. "The next step in that plan relies entirely on CreateSpace - a system that creates the exact supply for our entirely unpredictable demand. By offering it on DVD and download through Amazon, CreateSpace allows us to reach a broad audience base while maintaining our independence and furthering the Internet ethos that started this whole mess."

"The CreateSpace distribution model is a low-cost, 'fast to market' solution for independent visionaries like Joss Whedon," said Dana LoPiccolo-Giles, co-founder and managing director of CreateSpace. "The time efficiency of on-demand ensured that the title would be available in time for Christmas, and the multi-platform approach gives the end consumer choices on how to enjoy the content."

So, you don't have to believe me, but this sort of thing has to make you look twice. Whedon has his choices of deals he can make, and he chose the one with more control for him and more options for the consumer.

That's how you make your money -- not by just "making a movie," but by "going into the moviemaking business." (you'll note the difference)

**I say media here because outfits like Amazon's Createspace deal with all sorts of media - print, DVD, Audio, etc... You are no longer just a moviemaker, you're a mediamaker - moving a property from one media to another so that consumers can experience it on several levels.

2 comments:

Jon Molly said...

Your comment regarding moving content from one media to another deserves more than being buried in a footnote. I wonder if finding ways to spread content out over a variety isn't just as much a valid defense against piracy. Any version that gets pirated just winds up serving as a commercial for the other media.

Rolf Lejdegård said...

The post gave me a small but definate jolt in the back of my creative dreamspace. I am pretty damn old school and a complete technophobe. When I read a comic book I want to hold it in my hands, not read it on a screen. As I am currantly taking my first babysteps into this buisness as a creator this is posing somewhat of a problem. To "prove myself" I need to see my work in print but at the same time I understand that I can't ignore todays market and the power of the web and its spiderlegs of mediaforms. Two thoughts pops up: I'm scared to be left standing in the dust, looking like a fool, second, I want to get on board, not as a follower, but as a creator.