Monday, November 16, 2009

Not a Press Release But Close Enough: Android Army


From my partner in nefarious media, Bill Martell:

So, Bill from Pulp 2.0 and I were talking about this... and instead of looking at this as The Death Of Cinema, we've decided to use this as an opportunity. To make lemonade out of the lemons. Basically, I’m taking my own advice and looking at projects with strong ancillary possibilities. I have a script called ANDROID ARMY that is often a bridesmaid, but so far has not been a bride. People keep *almost* making this script. The great thing about it is that it’s affordable sci-fi, and has some really strange characters. It is the only thing I've ever written that screams: "Action Figures!" It also screams video game and comic book and game cards and all of that other stuff. The stuff that used to be ancillary rights but now seems to be driving the market. So, we are going to try to set it up as a video game and a comic book and maybe even a toy line *before* we try to set it up as a movie. Instead of looking at the movie first and the ancillary stuff second, the plan is to reverse that - and look at video games and all of those things that used to be “after markets” as equals to cinema. To play this ancillary game Hollywood seems to be playing.

Hey, the economy sucks - games and comic books and all of those things that used to be ancillaries are hurting. We understand that. This is not a case of thinking that setting this up as a comic book is going to be easy, this is trying to break down some other door - find some other way in with this project. If we do all of this and nothing happens, how is that any different than trying to set up the script with a bunch of producers?
Yes, we are looking at this as telling the story through other media. It won't be any easier but it will keep us busy and moving forward. As I posted last week, the media business has to be rethought - from conception, promotion and marketing, production and distribution. Bill and I are reworking the rules in our favor to move us forward and reach the important goal: Getting the property into your hot little hands. As Bill says...

I did not start writing screenplays to sell dolls, but many of my favorite films have action figures... no, not CASABLANCA, but ALIENS does. So, for a while, if I have a choice between the story idea that can sell to multiple markets or a story idea that can only be a movie, I'm going to pick the additional markets one. I'm not writing anything I don't like, just selecting from ideas I do like or twisting an idea a little to give it additional chances to be bought and made. I’m kicking down different doors.

And that’s kind of exciting.
Yeah - it is. It stretches different muscles of thought but it's all Mad Pulp Media.

2 comments:

Andrew Bellware said...

Hey, I'll make Android Army. I'll only make it for six thousand bucks, but I'll make it! ;-) Send me a script!

Cunningham said...

((((crickets))))