Saturday, December 20, 2008

Writers Write...No Matter What

Our friend, Lee Goldberg has a wonderful profile on prolific western (and other genres) writer James Reasoner:

"At one point in my career, I had published more than eighty books, only one of which (TEXAS WIND) had my name on it. People used to ask me how I could write a book knowing that my name wouldn’t be on it, and my stock answer was “I don’t care if my name is on the book as long as it’s on the check.” Of course, that’s not exactly true now and wasn’t then. I’d love to be able to just write what I want, sell it, and have my name on it. But being able to keep writing, period, is more important to me."

People have asked me recently when they are going to see a new movie or TV or web show with my name on it, and my answer is generally the same as Reasoner's -- I'm too busy getting paid for my other writing!
And yes, it's sometimes disconcerting that other people are sometimes credited for my work, but that's part of what I get paid for - making it seem like it's the other guy's or company's work. And if the check clears - then I have no problem with my name not being on the cover (or the website, or email blast, or casewrap, or poster, or animation).

You either write or you don't. There is no try. There is no "I only write [insert medium here]"

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to quit procrasti-blogging and get over to writing.


No comments: